Finding A New Path Forward

What happens when you no longer agree in an uncontested divorce?

On Behalf of | Dec 13, 2022 | Family Law |

When you and your spouse decide to divorce, you may initially want to move forward amicably. An uncontested divorce has several advantages, including lower cost and faster processing time.

However, if you begin to disagree with your spouse, you have several options on how to proceed.

Meet with a mediator

Sometimes talking about issues of disagreement can be difficult for you and your spouse. One option to consider is mediation. A mediator is a neutral person who acts as a go-between to facilitate conversation and help you reach an agreement. Once both spouses agree, documents get filed with the court to finalize the divorce.

Collaborate with lawyers

When mediation does not produce an agreement, you and your spouse can hire attorneys to represent each of you. Once you let your attorney know what you find acceptable for the divorce, your attorney can speak with your spouse’s attorney to try to reach a negotiation. During the collaboration, lawyers can advise you on legal decisions to ensure fairness.

Proceed with a trial

The case may proceed to court if neither mediation nor collaboration results in a divorce agreement. Court hearings often consist of several meetings. During this time, your lawyers may request the following:

During the trial, both attorneys present evidence, call witnesses and explain each client’s position to the judge. After the trial, the judge makes the final decision about the settlement.

Once you receive the signed decree, it is tough to make changes, so do not wait to voice your opposition in an uncontested divorce.